Tuesday, July 10, 2012

This Year In My Life...

During one of many travels
with the Killer Whale Dancers.

Many opportunities have landed before me since my last posting. I have joined two local Native Performing Art Dance Groups: Git Giylhawli Dancers, The Killer Whale Dancers both from Metlakatla, Alaka, where I have been giving the chance to learn the songs and dances of the Ts'msyen People.

Tadd Yliniemi and Erik Hudson working out their details.
At the beginning of this year I have been contracted out by the local high school here in Metlakatla, Alaska and was teaching basic graphic design using the program Adobe Illustrator. The students who I taught were also native artists learning under John Hudson - Native Arts Instructor. Here I was able to show them how to take their flat formline designs and transfer to the computer and turn their designs into print ready material.

Regalia Documentation Project
While asking questions and finding out answers. I submitted a proposal to Sealaska Heritage Institute and we were giving the contract and opportunity to attend Celebration 2012 in Juneau, Alaska this past June 7-9, 2012. We had a photo booth setup in Centennial Hall in collaboration with Sealaska Heritage Institute and Eagleboy Designs. Both myself and Kandi McGilton were part of the "Regalia Documentation Project", we photographed and meet a lot of wonderful individuals during our time spent there. This was our first time in attendance at this event and to be there in person was more than words can express.

During one of many travels
across Alaska this year.
To date: it has been nearly a year since I have been back in southeast Alaska. I have experienced many things along the way, from surviving a very cold winter season this year, (well to this city boy it was), witnessed several events, both documenting and traveling with both the dance groups. Enjoying the wilderness and nature of the local scenes. Less than a month away, Metlakatla, Alaska will be celebrating their 125th year with a weeks worth of celebration, starting on August 3rd, 2012.

Two favorite states that both start
with and end with the letter "A"
I can complain because I have the best of both worlds being born in the city and being exposed to island life. While in one place or the other, I find myself missing one or the other. This is my life, this is what the year has given me so far. I am thankful for these opportunities that have come, that have past, that have been experienced. What does life offer in the future, well, for me, I try not to plan things and just go with the flow of life. Oh and my motto is: all it takes it asking a question, to finding out answers, what is the worst that could happen, the individual says no!

No comments:

Post a Comment